APNA Online Learning
This online learning program provides primary health care nurses with concise, practice-based information to support the safe administration of influenza vaccines to individuals >6 months of age. By increasing vaccination rates, this program aims to reduce the burden of influenza in the community. This course includes three modules which cover the impact of influenza, influenza vaccination and vaccine administration technique and safety. The information contained in this course is aligned with recommendations in the Australian Immunisation Handbook, 10th edition. This interactive course is an enjoyable way to learn, and provides useful links to other sources of information.
Course learning objectives
By the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- explain the risks and complications of influenza, and address any patient misconceptions or myths
- explain 'The Australian Immunisation Handbook' recommendations for influenza vaccination
- implement practice systems and strategies to increase influenza vaccine coverage rates in individuals (> 6 months)
- safely administer influenza vaccination, either by intramuscular or deep subcutaneous injection, or alternatively using the adult formula intradermal flu vaccine, which is currently the only available flu vaccine in Australia
- improve clinical practice and safety to reduce the risk of needlestick injuries
- counsel patients regarding expected side effects, the potential adverse effects of vaccination and use of medication to control symptoms where appropriate, such as paracetamol or ibruprofen.
This course is comprised of the following modules:
- Module 1: The impact of influenza
This module addresses the physiology, epidemiology, clinical features, and complications of influenza, and the resultant economic burden this illness places on society.
- Module 2: Influenza vaccination
This module reviews the principles of vaccination – the single most important measure to prevent or reduce the burden of influenza infection.
- Module 3: Vaccine administration technique and safety
This module examines influenza vaccination techniques including intramuscular and subcutaneous injections, as well as how to administer the intradermal flu vaccine. Contraindications, precautions and safety of influenza vaccines are discussed, together with tips for minimising needlestick injuries.
1.5 CPD hours
$139.00 non-members FREE to all APNA members
Influenza Prevention online learning course was developed by Sanofi Pasteur. The content has been reviewed by APNA to ensure it is grounded in the practice context experienced by nurses in the primary care sector.