Diabetes Management in the Primary Care Setting
Diabetes Management in the Primary Care Setting is an interactive online learning program
aimed at nurses providing diabetes care and management in the primary care setting. The course consists of one unit, ‘Unit 1 - Introduction to Diabetes’ has been developed sequentially to allow the learner to adopt a stepped process to updating the diabetes knowledge and skills.
‘Unit 1 - Introduction to Diabetes’ has been designed for those who have identified a need to update or increase their basic diabetes and diabetes management knowledge. This unit provides the learner with a basic understanding of the disease and its impact on the individual and the community, as well as the diabetes specific knowledge needed to support the provision of quality care to the people with diabetes, their families and carers.
Click here for more details
Course Learning Objectives
The overall goal of the course is to assist nurses in the primary care sector to become active and confident members of the diabetes care team. The course aims to achieve this through enabling nurses to:
• identify those at risk of developing diabetes and appropriate primary care prevention strategies,
• provide information and basic introductory diabetes self-management education to people with diabetes in their care,
• provide assistance with diabetes survival skills,
• advise people with diabetes about available support and clinical services,
• assist health and allied health peers with information on appropriate diabetes networks, support and services,
• identify basic problems with diabetes care and manage appropriate referral pathways; and
• support people with diabetes’ rights to make informed decisions about their management and care.
Unit 1 - Introduction to Diabetes consists of 7 online modules. Each module is estimated to take approximately 2 hours to complete.
This Unit also includes pre and post learning surveys and 1 offline assessment task which should take approximately 1 -2 hours to complete.
Total hours of learning: approximately 14 hours online plus 1-2 hours offline.
Price incl gst.
$375 / APNA Member price $320
|"It has been really good overall to be able to do a course like this online for a relatively minor fee compared to post grad study" - Robyn, QLD||"Enjoyable and well presented course that I know I will use as a reource and feel that I will often refer back to" - Claire, NSW||"Have thoroughly enjoyed doing this course and found it totally relevant and a great help with my daily work" - Diane, QLD|
Diabetes Management in the Primary Care Setting was developed by APNA and the Australian Diabetes Educators Association (ADEA). The content has been reviewed by APNA to ensure it is grounded in the practice context experienced by nurses in the primary care sector. This project was funded by an educational grant from Merck Sharp and Dohme (MSD) to support improved health outcomes for people with diabetes.