Learning on the go with APNA online learning
APNA Transition to Practice Program
Are you new to nursing in primary health care or want to support someone who is?
APNA TPP is available for nurses new to primary health care to purchase privately through funding provided via Health Workforce Agencies Scholarship Programs or PHNs. See the Funding Available section at the end of this page for more information.
- Who can participate in APNA's TPP?
- What programs are available and when?
- Key dates
- PHN support
- Register your interest
- Nurses new to primary health care (Transitioning Nurse, TN): newly graduated or experienced nurses currently working in a primary health care setting1 who would like additional support during their transition.
- Nurses experienced in primary health care (mentors): nurses with four or more years of experience in primary health care and interested in mentoring and supporting nurses new to primary health care.
There are three intakes throughout the year for APNA's Transition to Practice Programs, with a choice of two online programs (Supported TTP and Induction to PHC):
|Supported Transition to Practice (eight months)
|Introduction to Primary Health Care Package (six months)
|Ideal for graduates or nurses who want some additional support to increase their understanding of primary health care with support from an experienced primary healthcare nurse (mentor)
|Ideal for nurses who wish to further support to increase their understanding of primary healthcare without support from an experienced primary healthcare nurse (mentor)
|Intake and program duration
|Application Outcome Notification
March: March 2024 – November 2024
Open: January 2024
Mentors: TBC March 2024
All: TBC March 2024
|July: July 2024 – March 2025
|Open: 1 March 2024
Close: COB 8 July 2024
Mentors: TBC July 2024
All: TBC July 2024
|October: October 2024 – June 2025
|Open: 1 July 2024
Close: COB 7 October 2024
Mentors: TBC October 2024
All: TBC October 2024
If you'd like to learn more about how your PHN or organisation can support nurses in this program, book a chat with one of the TPP staff members below.
Important: This is not an application for the program. The information you provide us will aid us in making informed decisions on future programs.
- Nurses interested in future programs: We will contact you if you may be eligible to apply for future programs.
- Workplaces looking to employ a nurse in primary health care: We will contact you when an opportunity to apply for funded job advertisements becomes available
- PHNs interested in funding positions: We will be in touch once you have set a meeting with our team
Rebekah Cox | Program Manager
email@example.com | 1300 303 184
1Primary health care refers to any setting outside of acute health, including but not limited to Aged Care, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health services, Correctional/justice health, Community health, General practice and more
As a nurse
You may be eligible to have your program costs covered via:
- Health Workforce Scholarships: nurses working in remote and rural areas or Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Health Services
- Fully sponsored places vis PHN and/or organisation: Find and contact your PHN for more details.
APNA's Transition Programs have been published in SAGE Open Nursing and is freely available for all to read here:
- Nurses Transitioning to Primary Health Care in Australia: A Practice Improvement Initiative - Web version
- Nurses Transitioning to Primary Health Care in Australia: A Practice Improvement Initiative - PDF version
- Select the short course you would like to do and click ‘Buy Now’
- Click 'Buy now' next to the price shown
- Click ‘Checkout’ and follow the prompts.
If funded via a Health Workforce Bursary, follow the below instructions
Select ‘Invoice’ under ‘Payment Method’ - You won’t need to pay anything at this stage. Once your application is assessed and processed, your health workforce provider will provide payment if your application is approved. See How to apply or check eligibility section for more information per state.
Enter your name, email address and work address
Click ‘next’, and you will receive an invoice from APNA via email
This invoice can then be provided with your application for funding via health workforce or other scholarship providers
If approved by the funding provider, the program can be paid for using the generated invoice
- Once APNA has received payment, we will send you information on next steps