APNA’s workforce survey aims to equip nurses working in primary health care with information on the workforce conditions of their profession
Foundations of General Practice Nursing Workshops
APNA is thrilled to deliver the highly regarded Foundations of General Practice Nursing Workshops Australia wide. General practice nursing is a different and unfamiliar environment to other areas of nursing practice. Developed and facilitated by local nurse leaders, this highly interactive workshop will provide an overview of the knowledge and key skills required by nurses new and transitioning into general practice, and those looking for an update.
2 day workshop/12 CPD hours
8:45am to 5pm both days (8:30am registration)
APNA member/Non-member: $320/$420
*PHN sponsored courses-APNA Member/Non-APNA Member: $270/$370
This two-day workshop will cover:
- The Australian healthcare system, health promotion and preventative care
- Professional practice and professional development
- Clinical assessment and chronic disease management
- Wound management
- Quality and safety
- Infection prevention and control
- Information management and ehealth.
On completion of the workshop, participants will have an understanding of the roles and responsibilities associated with:
- The Australian healthcare system and the role of primary health care
- The general practice environment including financing
- The health status of Indigenous Australians
- The role of the practice nurse in the general practice environment
- Defining health promotion and the determinants of health
- Preventive activities in general practice.
- National competency standards and regulatory requirements for nurses
- Regulatory requirements for nurses
- Scope of practice using tools such as the National Decision Making Framework
- Liability, professional indemnity, insurance and mandatory reporting
- Legislative requirements of National Registration standards.
- Health checks in general practice
- The importance of developing your practice based clinical assessment policy
- Risk management strategies in clinical assessment
- The need for appropriate documentation
- The impact of chronic disease on the individual and on the community
- Care planning for chronic conditions
- The practice nurse role in managing chronic conditions.
- Acute versus chronic wounds
- Principles of wound management
- Dressing products.
- Immunisations in the general practice setting
- National immunisation program
- Valid consent
- Recommended immunisation techniques and procedures, including
- Post vaccination management and common reactions, management of emergencies such as anaphylaxis
- Australian Childhood Immunisation Register
- Management of vaccine: cold chain.
- The purpose and process of accreditation and role of the practice nurse
- Accreditation standards for general practice – including criterion and guidelines
- Benefits of an effective triage system
- The various roles in triage within their organisation
- Opportunities for practice nurse participation in various stages of triage policy.
- Infection prevention and infection control for accreditation
- The nurse’s role in the adoption of quality management processes and development of infection prevention practice policy.
- What is meant by information management and eHealth and the interrelationship with the practice nurse
- The benefits of systems management
- The benefits of data extraction.
What are the benefits of having a nurse in your practice?
APNA's Healthy Practices website has tools and resources for employers, GPs and practice managers on understanding, recruiting and optimising the role of nurses in general practice.
Upcoming dates by state
Canberra 4-5 August
Cliftons Conference Centre, Canberra
Maroochydore 11-12 August
Brisbane 25-26 August
Cliftons Conference Centre, Brisbane
Penrith 23-24 June
Werrington Park Corporate Centre, Kingswood
*20 places funded by NBMPHN for nurses working in the region
Sydney 14-15 July
Cliftons Conference Centre,Sydney
Tamworth 1-2 September
Quality Hotel Powerhouse
Wollongong 15-16 September
University of Wollongong
I/C central building
Taree 22-23 September
Newcastle 13-14 October
Newcastle Jockey Club
Darwin 6-7 October
Mantra on the Esplanade
Adelaide 2-3 June
Cliftons Conference Centre, Adelaide
Hobart 20-21 October
Best Western Hobart
Melbourne 28-29 July
Cliftons Conference Centre,Melbourne
Melbourne 17-18 November
Cliftons Conference Centre, Melbourne
Perth 8-9 September
Cliftons Conference Centre, Perth
What you had to say
Really enjoyed the workshop. Being very new to Practice Nursing I felt very much like a sponge… I have taken on board Mel Cromarty’s (facilitator) advice not to try and eat the elephant all at once and have just chipped away at some of the information I received and bit by bit I am improving my practice.
The best education I’ve attended since being a Practice Nurse. Highly recommend.
Very practical. Picked up a lot of information I can implement straight away.
Re Wound Management session in Adelaide, really enjoyed all the wound types and then all brainstorming answers. Great to hear other people’s experiences and way they approach things.
Learnt lots – many a different approach that she used made me think how both my patients and myself could get more out of CDM! Loved it.
Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the workshop. Great content, great people. As a new member I think APNA is the best thing ever!