Professional indemnity insurance for APNA members to 31 March 2019 for $110
Foundations of General Practice Nursing Workshops
What are the workshops?
APNA is thrilled to deliver the highly regarded Foundations of General Practice Nursing Workshops Australia wide. General practice nursing is a different and unfamiliar environment to other areas of nursing practice. Developed and facilitated by local nurse leaders, this highly engaging workshop will provide an overview of the knowledge and key skills required by nurses new and transitioning into general practice, and those looking for an update.
2 day workshop | 12 CPD hours
8:45am to 5pm both days (8:30am registration)
APNA member $350 | Non-member $450
This two day workshop will cover:
- The Australian healthcare system and primary health care
- Professional practice and professional development
- Clinical assessment and chronic disease management
- Wound management
- Quality and safety
- Infection prevention and control
- Information management and digital health
On completion of the workshop, participants will have an understanding of the roles and responsibilities associated with:
- The Australian healthcare system and the role of primary health care
- The general practice environment including financing
- The health status of Indigenous Australians
- The role of the practice nurse in the general practice environment
- Defining health promotion and the determinants of health
- Preventive activities in general practice.
- National competency standards and regulatory requirements for nurses
- Regulatory requirements for nurses
- Scope of practice using tools such as the National Decision Making Framework
- Liability, professional indemnity, insurance and mandatory reporting
- Legislative requirements of National Registration standards.
- Health checks in general practice
- The importance of developing your practice based clinical assessment policy
- Risk management strategies in clinical assessment
- The need for appropriate documentation
- The impact of chronic disease on the individual and on the community
- Care planning for chronic conditions
- The practice nurse role in managing chronic conditions.
- Acute versus chronic wounds
- Principles of wound management
- Dressing products.
- Immunisations in the general practice setting
- National immunisation program
- Valid consent
- Recommended immunisation techniques and procedures, including
- Post vaccination management and common reactions, management of emergencies such as anaphylaxis
- Australian Childhood Immunisation Register
- Management of vaccine: cold chain.
- The purpose and process of accreditation and role of the practice nurse
- Accreditation standards for general practice – including criterion and guidelines
- Benefits of an effective triage system
- The various roles in triage within their organisation
- Opportunities for practice nurse participation in various stages of triage policy.
- Infection prevention and infection control for accreditation
- The nurse’s role in the adoption of quality management processes and development of infection prevention practice policy.
- What is meant by information management and Digital Health and the interrelationship with the practice nurse
- The benefits of systems management
- The benefits of data extraction.
What you had to say
Just want to say thankyou for a very relevant and very good couple of days. I would recommend this 2 day workshop to my colleagues.
The best education I’ve attended since being a Practice Nurse. Highly recommend.
Well worth attending as it increased my current knowledge to that extent that I am now confident to work in GP
Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the workshop. Great content, great people. As a new member I think APNA is the best thing ever!
What are the benefits of having a nurse in your practice?
APNA's Healthy Practices website has tools and resources for employers, GPs and practice managers on understanding, recruiting and optimising the role of nurses in general practice.