Learning on the go with APNA online learning
Scholarships, bursaries and grants
If you are looking at further study it is worth applying for a scholarship, bursary or grant to subsidise your education. Listed below are the most recent scholarships and grants available.
The Health Workforce Scholarship Program (HWSP)
Updated 6 Oct 2021
The Health Workforce Scholarship Program (HWSP) is for medical, nursing, midwifery, allied health, dental and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health professionals, providing primary health care in the Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHS) sector, non-government organisations and private practice across Australia.
Eligibility criteria apply and you must work in one of the following areas to be considered:
- Rural, remote and very remote Australia: As defined as MMM 3-7 (2019) via the Department of Health’s Health Workforce Locator tool:
- An Aboriginal Medical Service (AMS): Anywhere in Australia (MMM 1-7)
- An Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service (ACCHS): Anywhere in Australia (MMM 1-7)
What funding is available?
The HWSP offers two types of funding:
- Scholarship: up to $10,000 per year can be provided for up to two years study, to attain a postgraduate qualification of either a postgraduate certificate, postgraduate diploma, Master, or PhD.
- Bursary: payments of up to $10,000 within a 12-month period that covers the cost of training or course fees and/or cover or partially cover training-related expenses, where appropriate. For example, an accredited industry conference, vocational education, online workshop, and training courses.
How to apply
Queensland: APNA has created three in-depth education bundles to help nurses in Queensland upskill. These bundles are a mix of self-guided learning, face-to-face education (including registration to an APNA conference) and expert support to help you along the way. If you’re a nurse who works in rural or remote Queensland, or work in a Queensland Aboriginal Medical Service (AMS) or a Queensland Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service (ACCHS), you may be eligible to access the 12-months of fully-funded education. CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
National: The Health Workforce Scholarship Program (HWSP) is delivered by a consortium of Rural Workforce Agencies (RWA’s), one per state. CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE