This workshop provides practical, comprehensive CPD for new and transitioning nurses, and those seeking an update on best practice in the GP setting.
2018 National Immunisation Program influenza vaccines available
7 May 2018
Key information about the 2018 National Immunisation Program seasonal influenza vaccines
- Four age-specific quadrivalent influenza vaccines (QIVs) are available at no cost to eligible people.
- For those aged 65 years and over, two new trivalent influenza vaccines (TIVs) are preferentially recommended and available.
- People eligible for a free influenza vaccine through the NIP include:
- pregnant women
- people aged 65 years and over
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged:
- six months to less than five years
- 5 years and over
- people aged six months and over with medical conditions predisposing them to severe influenza
- Evidence suggests that optimal protection against influenza occurs within the first three to four months following vaccination. Timing of vaccination should aim to achieve the highest level of protection during peak influenza season, usually from June to September in Australia.