Learning on the go with APNA online learning
Peripheral Intravenous Cannulation
The course features:
- Adaptics - e3's unique approach to refresher training,
- professional audio,
- animation and interactivity,
- WCAG 2.0 accessibility,
- multi-device compatible,
- assessments, and
- a certificate of completion.
You should complete this course if you're a clinician whose scope of practice includes the insertion and maintenance of PIVCs. It should be completed prior to any clinical assessment of peripheral intravenous cannulation skills and then used regularly in ongoing refresher training.
This course will provide an understanding of:
- which National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards (2012) are applicable to PIVC insertion,
- the risk of infection posed by PIVC insertion and the measures that need be taken to prevent and minimise this,
- what equipment is required to successfully insert a PIVC,
- how to prepare a patient for PIVC insertion,
- the recommended processes for inserting, maintaining and removing a PIVC, and
- the complications that can occur.