APNA's definition of primary health care nursing covers health, scope of practice, primary health care, roles and settings. We also explore general practice nursing and Phillips et al. six roles of the general practice nurse.
Cardiovascular Disease Risk - Assessment & Management
This course has been designed to summarise the key recommendations made in the guidelines, explore the concept of risk factors versus absolute risk and build your confidence in using the online absolute cardiovascular disease risk calculator. Reflective activities throughout the course will assist in your learning.
The course has been designed to help you better understand the lifestyle and medication management issues for people at risk of heart attack and stroke and provide them with appropriate support in the primary care setting.
The module features:
- Risk factors versus risk,
- Using the web based calculator,
- Measuring risk factors,
- Managing patients according to their risk,
- Providing lifestyle modification to support your patients, and
- Ongoing review of patients.
Approximately 2 hours
About the Author
The module has been developed by APNA and the Heart Foundation through an educational grant provided by the DANKS Trust.
This course has been designed to:
- summarise the key recommendations made in the current guidelines
- explore the concept of risk factors versus absolute risk
- build your confidence in using the online Absolute cardiovascular disease risk calculator
- introduce Heart Foundation programs and resources to support assessment and management, and inspire practice changes to improve systematic assessment and management of your patients.
Cardiovascular disease (CVD), for the purpose of this learning module, is defined as per the current NVDPA Guidelines for the management of absolute cardiovascular disease risk (2012, introduction):
“Cardiovascular disease includes coronary heart disease, stroke and other vascular disease including peripheral arterial disease and renovascular disease."
Suitable for all nurses working in primary health care including general practice.
What you’ll get
Once you’ve finished the module, you’ll be able to download and save a certificate of completion.