This workshop provides practical, comprehensive CPD for new and transitioning nurses, and those seeking an update on best practice in the GP setting.
Updated for 2019, this online learning course has been designed to provide nurses with concise, practice-based information to support the administration of influenza vaccines to individuals >6 months of age.
By increasing vaccination rates, this program aims to reduce the burden of influenza in the community. The program is an interactive, 1.5-hour course and is ideally suited to nurses wishing to update their immunisation knowledge in preparation for the next influenza season.
The information contained in this course is aligned with recommendations in the Australian Immunisation Handbook.
Approximately 1.5 hours / 1.5 CPD hours
About the Author
This module was developed by the Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association.
Content reviewed and updated in 2019.
By the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- explain the risks and complications of influenza, and address any patient misconceptions or myths,
- explain ‘The Australian Immunisation Handbook’ recommendations for influenza vaccination,
- implement practice systems and strategies to increase influenza vaccine coverage rates in individuals (≥ 6 months),
- safely administer influenza vaccination, either by intramuscular or deep subcutaneous injection, or alternatively using the adult formula intradermal flu vaccine, which is currently the only available flu vaccine in Australia,
- improve clinical practice and safety to reduce the risk of needlestick injuries, and
- counsel patients regarding expected side effects, the potential adverse effects of vaccination and use of medication to control symptoms where appropriate, such as paracetamol or ibruprofen.
Suitable for nurses working in primary health care including general practice.
What you’ll get
At the completion of each module you will be presented with a brief online assessment that will test your underpinning knowledge.
Once you have completed all sections of the course, a certificate will be available next to the course name in the ‘My Training’ section of APNA Online Learning.