APNA's definition of primary health care nursing covers health, scope of practice, primary health care, roles and settings. We also explore general practice nursing and Phillips et al. six roles of the general practice nurse.
Updated for 2020, this online learning course has been designed to provide nurses with concise, practice-based information to support the administration of influenza vaccines to individuals >6 months of age.
By increasing vaccination rates, this program aims to reduce the burden of influenza in the community. The program is an interactive, 1.5-hour course and is ideally suited to nurses wishing to update their immunisation knowledge in preparation for the next influenza season.
The information contained in this course is aligned with recommendations in the Australian Immunisation Handbook.
Approximately 1.5 hours / 1.5 CPD hours
About the Author
This module was developed by the Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association.
Content reviewed and updated in 2020.
By the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- explain the risks and complications of influenza, and address any patient misconceptions or myths,
- explain ‘The Australian Immunisation Handbook’ recommendations for influenza vaccination,
- implement practice systems and strategies to increase influenza vaccine coverage rates in individuals (≥ 6 months),
- safely administer influenza vaccination, either by intramuscular or deep subcutaneous injection as per Product Information,
- improve clinical practice and safety to reduce the risk of needlestick injuries, and
- counsel patients regarding expected side effects, the potential adverse effects of vaccination and use of medication to control symptoms where appropriate, such as paracetamol or ibruprofen.
Suitable for nurses working in primary health care including general practice.
What you’ll get
At the completion of each module you will be presented with a brief online assessment that will test your underpinning knowledge.
Once you have completed all sections of the course, a certificate will be available next to the course name in the ‘My Training’ section of APNA Online Learning.