Learning on the go with APNA online learning
106 - National Bowel Cancer Screening Program
This course provides primary health care nurses with an understanding of the risk factors and symptoms of bowel cancer, different screening tests for bowel cancer, features of the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program (NBCSP) and duty of care associated with the management of NBCSP participants.
After completing the module, you will better understand:
- Bowel cancer symptoms and risk factors,
- Features of the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program,
- Your role as a Practice Nurse in the Program,
- The duty of care linked to General Practice,
- How to manage people eligible and ineligible for free screening,
- How to complete the paperwork for the Program and Medicare, and
- Implementation of the Program in your practice.
This course was updated in 2019.
Approximately 1 hour / 1 CPD hour
Cost: $38.50 inc GST / APNA Members FREE
About the Author
The module has been developed by Cancer Council WA for the Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the symptoms associated with bowel cancer,
- Identify bowel cancer risk factors and list measures to reduce bowel cancer risk,
- Identify who is eligible for the NBCSP and how often patients should be screened,
- Understand your duty of care in relation to patients in the NBCSP and those currently ineligible for the program,
- Identify the type of Faecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT) the NBCSP uses,
- Understand the process for dissemination of FOBT kits to eligible people,
- Manage queries about using FOBT,
- Understand how to manage patients with either a positive or negative FOBT result, and
- Obtain General Practice Assessment Forms and submit completed forms to the register.
Suitable for nurses working in primary health care including general practice.
What you’ll get
At the completion of each module you will be presented with a brief online assessment that will test your underpinning knowledge.
Once you have completed all sections of the course, a certificate will be available next to the course name in the ‘My Training’ section of APNA Online Learning.